Are you feeling a little frustrated with the number of files that accumulate on your computer or phone? Have you found an efficient way to organize, archive, and back up your information? In this article, you will find ideas to motivate you to spend some time creating an effective system and habits for handling your digital documents
Advantages of organizing your information
- Your electronic devices will work faster.
- You will have a greater degree of security in your electronic devices.
- Your concentration will improve by eliminating distractions.
- Increased discipline, better self-confidence, and space for the development of creativity.
- Your productivity will increase, since you will know how to find what you need.
- Taking decisions and taking action to have your information organized and protected helps you prioritize, and reduces stress.
Clean your Email
- Sort messages by sender.
- Unsubscribe from mailing lists you don’t need.
- Organize your folders, minimize their number.
- Reply to messages and then delete or archive them.
Organize Documents on Your Computer
- CREATE A SYSTEM. Decide which are the areas in which you will organize the information, roughly create a folder for each one. For example 1. Finance (Accounts paid, payable, taxes, etc.) 2. Company (Business or work project). 3. Personal (Relationships, family, friends). 4. Education. 5. File.
- Choose a system for naming your files. For example «2021.01.Education» (year, month, subject). With this system name each document, and organize the information in folders.
- CLEAR ALL GARBAGE. Remove duplicate files. Some apps can facilitate this task such as: Winmerge, DoubleKiller, Duplicate File Finder, Duplicate Images Finder.
- Eliminate unnecessary programs and apps.
- Clean your browser history.
- MINIMIZE THE INFO ON THE DESKTOP. Leave only the information that you are currently working with on your desktop. Once you close a project, file it in folders.
- SUPPORTS. Back up your information with the rule of 3: 1. A copy on your computer of what you are using or will need in the quarter. 2. A physical copy (in a USB, external disk, etc.) 3. A copy in the cloud.
- Pick a time each day to keep your desk tidy. For example: when starting or finishing work.
- Choose a schedule for the periodicity of the backup with the rule of 3. For example Every Wednesday at noon.
- Choose a schedule for the periodicity of the file creation. For example, every three months, you delete the information of the completed projects from the documents in use and put them in the «dead archive».
- Annually, the documents that are very important (copy of your identity, studies, insurance, bank details, etc.), keep them in a box or bag that is waterproof and fireproof, at your home and at the home of someone you trust, or in a safe in a bank.
- SECURITY. Decide how often to update your passwords. For example, every 3 months.
- Decide how often you will use an anti-virus on your computer. For example, every 2 months.
- OPTIMIZE YOUR COMPUTER. Use a tune_up program like CCleaner. Slimcleaner. IoIo SystemMechanic. AShampoo, etc.
- Clean your equipment. Turn it off. Unplug it. Use a compressed air spray. You can also use a vacuum cleaner on the back of the equipment.
- KEEP THE BALANCE. Decide how long is the maximum time you will be working with your electronic equipment. Maintain a balance with your contact with nature and the people you love. Take into account having a real, social life. Decide what relationships you want to nurture, what traditions you want to celebrate, how you prefer to enjoy your free time.
I hope you find this summary useful, I appreciate it if you can put in the comments about what practices do you do to organize your digital documents? What apps do you recommend? Or what questions do you get after reading?
Thank you. Love, grace and transcendence blessings
I hope you liked this reading, I appreciate a like, comment, and sharing. I also remind you that you can buy my books on Amazon Kindle.